Fort Orange Light, Sekondi -Photo taken January 2008
Accra (Jamestown) Light -Photo taken March 2012
Takoradi Light -Photo taken 1990
Cape Three Points Light -Photo taken January 2006
Title: Lighthouses of Ghana
|Ghana is a former British colony located on the south side of West Africa between Côte d'Ivoire and Togo. In 1957 it became the first country in sub-Saharan Africa to be granted its independence. Its coastline, formerly called the Gold Coast, extends for about 540 km (335 mi) on the Gulf of Guinea. The principal ports, Takoradi and Tema, are close to the cities of Sekondi and Accra, respectively.|
Aids to navigation in Ghana are maintained by the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA). Compared to other West African nations, Ghana has done a good job of maintaining its historic lighthouses.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 113.
* Cape St. Paul (Woe)
Greater Accra Region Lighthouses
Central Region Lighthouse
- Cape Three Points (2)
- Around 1930 (station established 1875(?)). Active; focal plane 38 m (125 ft); white flash every 5 s. 18 m (60 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern and gallery red. Matthew Tute and Andrew Polhill's photo at right is from a January 2006 visit, Marina Andina has a 2007 photo, Chris Ryan has contributed a small photo to the BBC website, and Google has a satellite view. Although 1875 is given as the date for this lighthouse, Findlay's 1879 list has it only as "proposed." The lighthouse marks a prominent cape at the southernmost point of Ghana; it is the central point of the three promontories on the cape. Site status unknown. ARLHS GHA-005; Admiralty D3140; NGA 24848.
- Bobowasi Island (Axim)
- 1915. Reactivated (inactive from around 1960 to 2003); focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white or red light, depending on direction, 14 s on, 3 s off. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Thanks to Walt Hempel for two 2008 photos; a distant photo is also available, and Google has a satellite view. Long listed as "temporarily extinguished," the light was restored and reactivated in 2003. Axim was one of the earliest European outposts in Ghana, first occupied by the Portuguese in 1502. The town is a fishing port and has had some modest development as a beach resort. Located on an island just off the coast about 3 km (2 mi) south of Axim; easily visible from shore and from the historic Fort San Antonio in town. Accessible by boat or by wading across at low tide, but permission is required. Site open with permission, tower closed. ARLHS GHA-002; Admiralty D3138; NGA 24844.