Saturday 21 April 2012

Objects of Desire: Akan Gold Art Pieces at The Walu Gallery…

Princely Asante bangles
D: 9–12 cm. Gold alloy produced by lost-wax casting. 5'000 to 15'000 CHF


Asante sword emblem
It represents the saying "Nobody wipes their bottom with a porcupine". L: 21 cm. Gold alloy produced by lost-wax casting. 100'000 CHF


Stylized jewellery in the form of beetles
Height: 7 cm - 11 cm. Gold alloy produced by lost-wax casting. 3'000 - 9'000 CHF


I never got the chance to visit the Walu Gallery at Mühlebachstrasse in Zurich when I was living there -but I know the family behind it are leading world experts on African art [high-end ones anyway] -and their vast luxe collections are coveted by real connoisseurs/collectors -globally… but it makes me wonder…why don’t we Africans know more about our own [high] art??? I’m celebrating a very big birthday in June and I would like any [or all] of the above.. A big thank-you in advance (laughter)…For more info about The Walu Gallery visit: http://www.walu.ch/home.htm

1 comment: